Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Frugal Changes

just a list of changes I've made or continued this first half of 2011

*I made & am giddy that I can serve the homemade mulberry syrup by USDA childcare food program standards to the childcare-they don't allow any home canned goods unless frozen immediately as most canning processed involve sitting @ room temp for an extended period of time

*I am a bit addicted to the homemade granola I've been making.

*I did away w/the HFCS laden ice pops we've lived on most of my childcare career & now make juice-cicles w/100% juice (required by USDA food program)

*The only thing I serve the kids that comes in a box, is plain pasta- no more hamburger helpers, boxed mixes, or cereal.

*I broke my 'no store bought bread' rule when I received a delivery size FLAT full of various loaves of bread, hey, its FREE!! & froze most of it only pulling out sporatically. French toast out of texas toast, bread crumbs from various flavors, 'emergency' (read lost track of time & didn't start lunch in time) grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.

*I've kept homemade mac n cheese as well as homemade refried beans in the freezer.

*I've made 2 batches of homemade laundry soap this year as well as a batch of dishwasher detergent every couple of weeks.

*I've been better about closing the curtains thru the heat of the day & put up a dark blanket over a window with out treatments in the childcare.

*I've used the clothesline every possible day.

*I've gotten better about using up all leftovers rather than throwing it out.

*I've done great about having a second item ready to go in the oven when I have had to bake something for lunch or snack.

*We've used up almost all of the boxes in the upstairs cupboard!  This is huge b/c it was something we kept well stocked. Now I will have to make up some homemade mixes to keep stocked for easy baking.

*I've been really good about shopping the sales (thanks to Sara!)

*I am still composting.


what frugal changes have you made this year? what do you plan to change?

4 comments:

Penny said...

Oooh, I want a clothesline so bad!!! If we get our new house, I'm putting one up!

Brooke said...

i should use a clothesline but its forbidden in our subdivsion. to be honest i'm also lazy so i'm not sure i would if i could.

let's chat about these homemade refried beans. i'm intrigued!

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
juliecache said...

YOu are doing AWESOME, Kim!