Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Frugal Tuesday

I have a few little things I do be more frugal or environmentally friendly, none of which deserves its own post as most I have gotten from other bloggers (Stacey, Shanen, Abby, & Sara --hehe almost all S's) so I will list them here:

  • I compost: fruit & veggie 'junk', paper towels used to just dry wet children's hands (also working to do away w/them), newspaper, junk mail all goes into a bucket
  • I provide cloth napkins for our home meals (not childcare quite yet)
  • I provide cloth diapers for my childcare kids
  • I recycle: plastic jugs, tin cans & cardboard
  • I reuse: all glass jars & lids for freezing leftovers, produce (bananas, pumpkin & squash), freezer cooking (mac n cheese, taco meat, chicken or beef broth, etc.)
  • I make my own laundry & dishwasher soap now-Thanks Stacey!
  • I cook a whole chicken once a month instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts every week-Thanks Shanen & Abby!
  • I carry around this aluminum water bottle
  • I am learning to make my own mixes: taco seasoning, ranch mix, cream soup mix, onion soup mix, mocha mix, & pancake mix.
  • I shop the farmer's market & Iowa food Co-op whenever possible. Shop Fresh Shop Local. From the farmer's market I am loving the hand crocheted washclothes!
  • I haven't bought harsh cleaning products in 3 years, vinegar, baking soda & dawn dish soap clean about everything.
  • I haven't bought store bread for childcare in a year. I either serve homemade bread or muffins, pita pockets, tortillas or pasta as our grain group @ meals. (tortillas are inching their way to the top of my 'to-learn' list)
  • have almost done away w/baggies -minus Tim's lunch sandwiches, which are fewer than they were & the occassional 'prize' found & taken home from childcare (feathers, rocks, flowers for mom) & want to invest in some reusable sandwich bags for camping, childcare & home as well.--thanks for the heads up Sara!
  • I have a small (HA) reusable shopping bag addiction  collection.
Things we hope to increase or improve in the next year:
  • use the clothes line (just installed last night)
  • find a fabric softener for winter months that kills the static cling & do away w/the dryer bar
  • get a rain barrel
  • build a bigger compost bin
  • grow more garden
  • preserve/can/freeze more produce this fall than last
  • add to my list of homemade mixes, soaps & foods (tortillas, bagels, etc)
  • get all childcare children into cloth-will reduce our trash can to the SMALL one! imagine that!! a childcare home w/a small can!
  • finish & hang 'towel rack' I am in the process of repurposing for the kids to have their own towels & do away w/paper towels
  • install filter in the childcare so I can cancel the water delivery we rely on for our drinking water
No pictures but lots of links to follow! Thanks for visiting & have fun!
Linking up to Frugal Tuesdays go check out the others!!

6 comments:

Brooke said...

when reusing glass jars how do you get that smell out of them? like my salsa jars always smell (and make any subsequent food taste) like salsa. even after a run through the dishwasher.

Julia in West Des Moines said...

nice to see you, kim! hope you can join us for future frugal tuesday tips!

Frugal Sara said...

Great list Kim! Your doing awesome!

So glad to see you linking up! Thanks!

Michelle said...

I do childcare too and I have learned to color code kids. Alice has a pink hand towel, toothbrush, water cup, etc. Brad has a blue one of those. The kids actually love the system and my son knew which went to which at 18 mos. He still doesn't know the NAMES of the colors but he can give Sally her purple cup.

Hope it helps!
Michelle

Michelle said...

I do childcare too and I have learned to color code kids. Alice has a pink hand towel, toothbrush, water cup, etc. Brad has a blue one of those. The kids actually love the system and my son knew which went to which at 18 mos. He still doesn't know the NAMES of the colors but he can give Sally her purple cup.

Hope it helps!
Michelle

Kimberly said...

Love it! I'll have to remember the coloring coding trick if we ever have more kids, thanks!