Sunday, June 26, 2011

I AM BAAAAAAAAACK!!

its been a month but seems like 6 in the blogging world ;)

I am working to get back to blogging regularly. real life stuff.  In keeping w/the current frugal theme I am blogging a money saving recipe.

Today we had freezer swap. I LOVE this swap! we all bring whatever we a)have in the freezer b) like to mass produce or c)whatever different dishes they'd like to share. 

Today I made taco meat mix. For this, I mix browned hamburger, homemade refried beans & homemade taco seasoning.  The hamburger is from our beef that's in the freezer, the beans are from the bulk purchase I made a while back from Paul's Grains that I started soaking on Thursday then Friday morning I rinsed them & started them to cook in the crockpot (high for 4-6 hours, then low until Saturday evening).  I refridgerated them overnight (simply because I was tired) & 'refried' them this morning as I was browning the beef.  When the beef was browning, I added 1 tablespoon of homemade taco seasoning.  The recipe came from this blog.

Taco Seasoning Mix
Combine in a small mixing bowl:
2 Tablespoons dried oregno - I had ground so used just under 1 TBS
2 Tablespoons salt
1 Tablespoon garlic powder - I had granulated so just about 1/2 TBS
1 Tablespoon onion flakes
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespon black pepper
Use 1-2 Tablespoons of mix per pound of ground beef, depending on how spicy you like it.  I use 1TBS in the ground beef as well as 1TBS in the plain refried beans I put in the freezer. 

For us at home, I also melt in sharp cheddar & warm some salsa of choice in the mix, but for others, I leave out the cheese & salsa.  The seasoned refried beans I put in the freezer, I use for the childcare kids' bean & cheese quesadillas, an quick taco supper for us, or super nachos for either us or the kids.

The other girls brought pineapple pork chops, banana bread w/& w/o nuts, shredded beef w/a choice of toppings (sauce or seasoning), scalloped chicken, & beef burgers.

ETA: linking up w/

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Yay! Good to see you back. I think you have plenty of recipes to share. Plus you've been busy this summer with child care outings and your own life. Even if I don't always comment (sometimes I am just trying to get caught up), I always read.

Don't forget to hook up with Frugal Tuesday--this post is a good one for that. I really need to figure out what spices I need to have on hand for these types of recipes and start stocking up on them.

Brooke said...

so jealous that you got to do that! my friends and i all eat so differently i don't think we could make it work.

juliecache said...

I know a group of gals who do this, too. I like the idea. Nice to see you join our Frugal Tuesday Tip. http://juliecache.com/2011/06/27/frugal-tuesday-tip-23/.html

Frugal Sara said...

I so have to try to make my own taco mix! Thanks for linking up, good to see you blogging!

Anonymous said...

love this recipe! thanks for sharing!