Friday, February 8, 2013

Blog Your Heart

Since this is my first time, Here are the rules, in case you are new too:
1. blog whatever is authentic. whatever is truly on your mind and in your heart.
2. it can be serious, silly, short, long. note:no one said it has to be serious. but it should be authentic.
3. no judging allowed no snarky comments, no making fun, no passive agressive digs.if you are going to read the blogs linked below, don't be mean. nothing here is whining. it's me honestly sharing my feelings. if you feel that it's whining, then you don't have to read. :)
4. if you BYH, link back here.

I only have one issue to unload today, but its a doozy.  I have never been much of a 'joiner' where I had a 'job' to do.. I would join & help in a very quiet, side, non public way or I do my annual fundraiser by myself.. but recently I joined a committee to help put on a local event that is a teeny tiny part of a world wide event that raises money for a big name 'cooporate' like association.  I am learning so much about this association that I didn't know before & some of it could have helped my family & others in my life, when they needed it the most.  When I started working on my part of the event, I ran into some road blocks.  Namely, prominent, vocal community members opposed to aiding 'cooporate' associations but willing to help in the  name of community.  Which I think is honorable. until today.

I find my excitement renewed during & immediately following each monthly meeting, until I either get overwhelmed by myself trying to be the perfectionist & complete my task list 4 months early or after talking to one of these nay-sayers.  That is what happened this morning & I feel as if I was punched in the gut.  I wanted to throw up & cry at the same time.  I wanted to scream in anger & run as fast & as far from the committee & event as I could.  I wanted to never see anyone on either side of the agenda again. I wanted to turn back the clock & never agree to join.  BLECK

The association has a website that boasts all the great things it does with fundraising dollars, how they fund research, community projects, travel expenses, medical expenses, lodging expenses, etc.  Now don't think I am foolish enough to believe everything I read on the internet b/c I am way past that stage ;)  I know that not everything is true, honest or complete on the internet, afterall, not everything or everyone is all of those in real life either. 

the scenerio details, I posted on social media about the event progress & in less than 10 minutes one of these nay-sayers posted a link to an article completely opposing & citing sources for 'facts' against similar coorporate associations.  Now, I also realize that it may not have been directed AT me or my post, as there is a possibility that it was just chance that they posted so closely together, & were opposing sides of the agenda.   I don't undertake projects lightly, I don't sign on to things half heartedly, if my name is on it, I give it my all, I make it personal therefore, it felt personal.  This person knows me well enough to know I don't do anything I don't believe in (or at least I thought they did) but also knows I am not going to engage in a public (or personal) debate on the subject. I'd rather agree to disagree & never mention it again. We are both small businesses in a small town that risk losing a lot. 

So, How would you handle an uncomfortable situation like this?

& to ease the discomfort, a totally random childcare photo! :)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Ugh, I know that happens around here. I missed the comment. I presume you deleted it. I can tell you that i am getting my little team organized. I'm on your side. And I have been there as far as dealing with negative people. You know there will always be those who look for the negative even when we are looking at the positive. They must lead a sad life.

Claire T said...

I hope that blogging this helped you let the worry go a little. Small towns can be a tough gig. I think if you are happy with the project you are working on then that is all that matters.

Stephanie Howell said...

I'm sorry. :(
I hope things get better soon. Sending big hugs.xo