Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Banana Bread

This is one of my go to homemade bread recipes mostly because I always have bananas in the freezer.

Banana Bread
8TBS (1 stick) of butter, at room temp.
3/4 c sugar (I usually sub applesauce here but occassionally do use the whole measure of sugar)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1tsp vanilla (I usually omit)
1/2 c shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

preheat oven 350, grease 9x5x3" bread pan or muffin tin of choice.  Cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy (won't get fluffy if applesauce is used).  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Sift all-purpose flour, baking soda & salt together , stir in whole wheat flour & add to creamed mixture, mixing well.  I rarely do this, I usually just add things one at a time in order listed :)   Fold in bananas, vanilla & nuts.  Pour mixture into pan, bake 50-60 minutes for big loaf, I usually set the timer for 10 then check every 3 for muffins of any size, or until a cake tester (or toothpick in my case) comes out clean - cool in pan 10 minutes then transfer to rack. 

sorry no photos today...

No comments: