Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day to you.  That sounds so weird to me to say out loud.  Memorial day is such a somber holiday to me.  Its one where we are to remember those we've lost, mostly soldiers who died for our freedom, but around here, we use it to make the time when we are to decorate the stones of all of those we've lost. 



I remember all of us loading into Grandma & Grandpa's car to travel the country side to put flowers on stones of relatives I never knew.  I appreciated the 'event' in that it meant we were all together & out of the house.  Grandma usually packed a picnic lunch & we made a whole day of it.   I cannot tellyou the last time I went on the route.  I guess I better go again soon.  I come from a family rich in traditions & this is one I don't want to lose.

I guess I don't go these days since it is a traditional 'start of summer' weekend for Tim & I with our lake family.  its our first big camping/boating weekend at the lake since its a 3 or 4 day weekend for most of us. I do try to remember to put my little flags out at the campsite & we tune into a radio station that plays patriotic tunes all weekend, so I guess we aren't entirely avoiding it. 

So tell me, how do you celebrate Memorial day?

1 comment:

Brooke said...

typically jay and i go to my great uncle's grave. he died during the WW2 invasion of normandy. we didn't make it this year, because we had out of town guests.