Friday, September 11, 2009

remembering....

I remember where I was ..how I felt.. & what it meant to my family...


*I was watching the Today Show-a rarity w/a houseful of little ones but I was & now I am so thankful I was.
*I was terrified of what it meant for us-the US. I was so sad for those lost & those surviving the loss.
*to our family, it meant that Jeff who was 20years old & army reserve would be activated. it was only a matter of time. & true as fact he was. we thank our lucky stars & the Lord above that he was lucky enough to get stationed in California to work on the vehicles shipped back. oh the horrible sights he saw & dealt w/I cannot imagine but atleast it was 'just' the machinery & not the troops he had to work on. Yes we were thankful!
*I became obsessed w/the news coverage. I had the tv in the nursery/scrap room on the news channel every hour I was awake whether I was in there or not.
* I had the entire house decked out in red, white & blue, yellow ribbons everywhere, a 'we support our troops' sign in the front yard, & dropped money in every military fundraising bucket & can I came across.
* I still get choked up when I see the uniform.
*I take more photos of our American Flag than ever before. it has a whole new meaning to me!
*I stand w/my hand on my heart where ever I am & the anthem is playing-this year, Iowa State Fair, the street by the Methodist food trailer, the anthem started playing & the whole place stopped, people rose, hats removed, food sat uneaten, coffee cooled, conversations paused, phones were silenced when they rang. OH WHAT A SIGHT. still gives me goose bumps to remember.
*I for one will never forget.

just when I thought this post would be easy .... its taken me 4 hours & 3 sits to get it all together.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

i'm the same. when i'm at a baseball game the national anthem has a newfound respect.

Christie O. said...

it wasn't an easy one for me to write either! the tears flowed over my keyboard. thank you for remembering and thank you and your family for your service then and always.