Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day 2013

Veterans Day is an official United States holiday which honors people who have served in armed service also known as veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect.)
Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.[1] (via Wikipedia)


 A flag fluttering in the wind gives me goosebumps.
The National Anthem makes me weepy.
Standing silent with my hand on my heart seems to be the least I can do when either are presented at an event.

We are so blessed with the many, many freedoms we have yet, we fail to care for those who suffered for us to have those freedoms. 
We are so blessed with freedoms that we often take them for granted & fail to remember what some families went through to get & keep them for us. 
We get so wrapped up in our own busy lives-that wouldn't be so busy if it weren't for those freedoms- that we forget to honor, care for & thank those who sacrificed for us.

Try to remember to thank a veteran today & every day you can.  I try, sometimes I get too choked up to speak, but I always acknowledge them in some way that lets them know I appreciate them & their service, sacrifice & dedication.


No comments: